It goes without saying that when traveling to Italy, half of the fun lies in the food. This is precisely why we insist that When in Rome, you should EAT as the Romans do.
What better way to start out your day in Rome than with an Italian sugar and caffeine bomb.
1. A morning espresso or cappuccino at a reputable coffee bar in Rome such as the Tazza doro
2. Make room next to that coffee for Italy's bombastic answer to the cream-filled donut: the bomba con crema. While it may look like your run of the mill sugar donut, there is so very much more to it than meets the eye. Best if you can find them still warm (when you can actually smell them from out the door and around the corner from the bakery)!
Try the bomba at Dolce Maniera, Via Barletta 27 by Ottaviano Metro Station
3. Mozzarella di bufala - This milky white ball of perfection is a wonderful appetizer along with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a few cherry tomatoes or Rughetta (arugula). Tip: mozzarella should be eaten at room temperature, so if you buy it at the local market be sure you let it sit for a few hours before you eat it.
4. Culatello di Parma - Similar to the Prosciutto di Parma but an even more select cut. At 40-45 Euro per kilo, it is practically worth its weight in gold (although anyone in their right mind would rather have a block of culatello than a gold brick any day- you will only need a slice or two to realize why). This is not the stuff you want to be making sandwiches with. Buy it at a good quality deli, and savor it on its own.
5. Bucatini all’amatriciana - The pillar of Roman cuisine. This classic is made with guanciale, or pig’s cheek (some substitute pancetta which is also good) in a tomato sauce and sometimes spiced up with some hot red pepper. The best place to sample an authentic Bucatini all'amatriciana is at Vecchia Roma, a trattoria that has been serving this dish up for decades. It is served inside a wheel of Pecorino Romano cheese and is churned about inside the wheel on a cart by your table before it is served on your plate. Vecchia Roma is located at Via Ferruccio, 12/C just a block from Piazza Vittorio Emanuele.
Rome's Best Bucatini all'Amatriciana
6. Spaghetti alla Carbonara-For a high-creamability variation of the Amatriciana (who wants to count calories on vacation in Italy?), Spaghetti alla Carbonara is made with eggs and Pecorino Romano cheese. Vecchia Roma also makes a delicious carbonara.
7. While Italians do embrace their own regional cooking, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese has become a staple food throughout the nation. Try it on pasta, risotto, pizza, or even on its own. Tip: If you get the chance, try some that has been aged for 24 months and savor its flavor before grating it onto anything.
8. Gelato - No matter the season, no matter the hour, there is never a wrong time for gelato. When looking for a great gelateria it is usually a good idea to stay away from tourist stands and chain gelaterie.
9. Cannolo - Originating in Sicily, the cannoli craze has now gone global. For the best cannoli in Rome, head to a good Sicilian bakery such as Ciuri Ciuri
Italian cannoli with Chocolate Chips
10. Hot chocolate (also known as hot pudding). Before you depart, a hot chocolate is an experience you really must have. Certain bars such as the Alice bar on Via delle Grazie right by the Vatican will keep it churning in a machine so that when it is poured, your spoon will practically stand up on its own inside the cup.
Article provided by When In Rome Tours http://www.wheninrometours.com/, a full service tour operator for Rome and the Vatican.
**All photos are copyright of When in Rome Tours-** Tweet
Now I'm really hunger! I've been to 1/2 of the place on your list. Next time I'll try the other half. I can't wait to try Vecchia Roma as Amatriciana is my favorite
I know..the pictures alone make me want to eat! Glad the article gave you some ideas for your next stops in Rome!
Turkey travel agencey TTG is a friendly and energetic destination management company, emphasising innovation and quality service. Istanbulsightseeing offers a broad range of services, and the company is able to provide all the information and services you http://www.packagetoursturkey.com - http://www.touroperatoristanbul.com your customers need to plan a wonderful stay here in Istanbul and Turkey. Our staff is highly qualified, well informed, and our flexible service is designed to meet your every need. Our service covers everything from finding a suitable day excursion to planning a comprehensive itinerary for large groups.
We arranged a pickup from Sabiha airport with a name card and there was our driver - very prompt who delivered us safely to our hotel. Everyone was so helpful and our contact from www.privatetoursinistanbul.com was waiting for us to complete our trip details. Everything was very well organized and well explained to us. We were very impressed. The staff so helpful and friendly. The location was amazing. Everything we wanted to see was on our doorstep. We loved the bustle and activity on the streets. Even the traffic jams were fun. Breakfast on the roof terrace was great and in the sunshine, a lovely spot to start the day. We were collected next morning to drive to cappadocia tour. This again was wonderful though our guide talked too much at times, giving us too much information and not enough time to wander on our own. We had a bit of fun when a Greek guest disagreed with the guide on some points. I don't think the guide appreciated my friend and I not paying attention!! Our memories of the trip will be the excellent organization and lovely, friendly, helpful staff. Thank you all so much. Love Turkey with Privatetoursinistanbul......"
Post a Comment